Create your precious pup their very own pupsicle, by freezing a dog treat in some water. This special treat not only keeps your dog hydrated while licking away, it also keeps them occupied as the ice takes its time to melt away. And they are easy to make!
What you'll need
- A deep container
- Doggy biscuits or other treats
- Water or pre-made broth
- Find a mould - it could be a plastic Chinese container, a silicone mould, we've even seen people use muffin tins and ice cube trays!
- Place the dog treat at the bottom of the mould. We're using doggy biscuits from a pet supply store, but you could use apple slices or even some cooked shredded chicken (but no cooked bones!).
- Fill your container with water, or pre-made broth, almost to the top of the container. Place in the freezer overnight or until frozen.
- Before giving to your dog, loosen the edges of the container by running warm to hot water on the outside, and prise out the pupsicle.
For more ideas on how to keep your dog cool in summer, visit our How to Keep Dogs Cool in Summer blog.
For more information about heat stroke, visit our Heat Stroke in Dogs Guide.