It can be hard to keep your pet contained on days when it's hot, especially if there is no shade in your backyard or worse, you're cooped up inside all day. Keeping dogs cool in summer can be easy (and fun!) with a cool game to play. This hack is good for both indoors and outdoors, and helps keep both you and your doggy entertained!
The Trail to Cooler Places Adventure Game
What you'll need
- Space to set up a trail of treats
- Dog biscuits or dry dog food pieces
- A towel
- Doggy bowl with water (optional)
- Hideaway from your dog in an area where you have a bit of space and they can't follow you. It's important to note that they will eventually be relaxing in this area with you, so use a space in the backyard or inside where it's safe and you're happy for your pet to roam free. If you don't have an area to hideaway, have someone occupy your curious pooch while you're setting up the trail.
- Set up the final destination first by wetting a towel and placing it on the floor to make a bed. This marks the place your dog will be relaxing to cool down, and the wet towel will help to bring his body temperature down. Place your dog's water bowl next to the towel for extra hydration (or even a pupsicle). If doing this outside, ensure the towel is placed in a cool, shaded area.
- Use your dog biscuits or dry dog food pieces and set out a trail on the floor from your final destination to your dog. Place a treat every few steps for him to follow.
- You could even make the game longer with many locations for your dog to stop at. One location could be a small pupsicle, followed by a paddling pool!
For more ideas on how to keep your pet cool in warm weather, visit our How to Keep Dogs Cool in Summer blog.
For more information about heat stroke, visit our Heat Stroke in Dogs Guide.