Top Easter Emergencies

Border collie wearing bunny ears

For many Easter means family, friends, chocolate and a four day weekend. But for our pets there are unfortunately quite a few potential pet hazards around this time of year. In fact, Easter is one of the busiest times of year for our hospitals. We've pulled together the top hazards to be aware of to keep your pet safe and out of trouble over Easter.

Chocolate

White dog wearing bunny ears with chocolate Easter eggsThe good ol' case of chocolate ingestion, over the years we have seen our fair share of cases. As much fun as a chocolate egg hunt is, please keep your pets away from this part of the Easter action.

While we may indulge this time of year, unfortunately chocolate can prove fatal for our cats and dogs if they manage to get their paws on it. Chocolate poisoning in our pets is caused by the two toxic drugs it contains - theobromine and caffeine. Common symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, increase in heart rate, and tremors, but don't wait for these to occur. If there's evidence your pet may have accessed your stash of chocolate, take them to your vet immediately.

For more information on what to do if your pets eats chocolate and common symptoms, visit our Chocolate Toxicity blog.

Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross BunsAnother Easter favourite that doesn't sit well with our pooches is the hot cross bun. As sultanas, grapes and raisins cause renal failure in dogs, giving your pet a taste of your toasted bun could make them incredibly sick and require emergency attention. Unfortunately, the toxic dose range is varied as research has demonstrated even on grape can pose dangers and it doesn't depend on the size of your pet. Also, clinical signs only start to show once they develop kidney failure. As with suspected chocolate toxicity, be sure to bring them straight to the vet.

Easter Toys

Toy Easter chickens and eggsIf you have Easter decoration at home like those toy eggs, fluffy chickens or bunny ears, this is of particular concern. To your pooch, they may look fun to chew on, with small plastic eggs appearing perfectly treat-sized and looking suspiciously like food. But if they eat them, these toys can block their airways or even lodge in their oesophagus or intestines causing an obstruction. Often, surgery is required when these types of items are swallowed. So save your pet a trip to the emergency room by keeping these items away from your pet.

 

Enjoy the Easter festivities. If you need us, we will be open 24 hours throughout the long weekend.

 

 

If your pet is ill or injured, visit your local vet immediately or your closest Animal Emergency Service hospital.

Recent Posts